Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Top 10 Reads of 2012 List


Vandeervecken's Top Ten Best Reads of 2012 List

Here is my annual list of the 10 best books I read in the last year, and a few that just missed the list. This is subjective, based solely on what moved me and what did not. I'm thinking next year of upping the number to a top 20 list because I read so many good books this year, and found two new genre's, Young Adult, and New Adult where a lot of great young writers are working telling great stories. Here is the list:


1: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
2: Slammed by Colleen Hoover
3: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover
4: Easy by Tammara Webber
5: Freeing Carter by Nyrae Dawn
6: Grounding Quinn by Steph Campbell
7: Flat Out Love by Jessica Park
8: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
9: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
10: The Outpost by Jake Tapper


Honorable Mention
If I Stay + Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Bits and Pieces Series by Shirley Miranda
Story of a Girl By Sara Zarr
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Series by Stieg Larson
Hunger Games Trilogy Suzanne Collins
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
20 Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Why They Made The List


1: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

This is one of the best books I have ever read. A complex and moving story about life and the twists and turns life throws at you. I do not do spoilers, but let me say there is no emotion known to human kind that you will not feel when reading this book.

2: Slammed by Colleen Hoover
Another simply great book about life. Colleen writes complex characters dealing with all aspects of life, death, parenting, and dealing with both the extraordinary and mundane that life throws at you all the time. I thought this was a lock on my best book of the year till Hopeless came out in the last couple of days of the year.

3: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Colleen completes the Top-3 trifecta with this follow up to Slammed. I simply could not put it down. Everything I said about Slammed continues to apply here. These two books make up one of the best love stroies Ihave ever read.

4: Easy by Tammara Webber

An amazing and affecting novel. The difference between this on the 3 books about it is microscopic. Any one of them could arguably be the best book I read last year. This book should be mandatory reading in High School. A love story yes, but it is oh so much more than that as well. This book initiated a long and serious conversation about life, and men and women between myself and my teen daughter as we read it together.

5: Freeing Carter by Nyrae Dawn

Another book that in all fairness deserves to be higher than 5. One of the best examples of a family dealing with functional alcoholism I have ever read. As someone who grew up in a family with alcohol and drug problems, I have to say she nailed it. Ms Dawn also writes male point of view better than most men. I am especially impressed when she is writing about what males are thinking, because it is how men think. So many women writing male POV come across as women guessing. This woman is well beyond that. I've read every one of her books and ANY of them would not be out of place on this list.

6: Grounding Quinn by Steph Campbell

I loved this book a lot. The title character Quinn reminds of some of the young women I loved in my youth. She is so beautiful in every important way and doesn’t know it. So many times I wanted to reach into this book and hug her and tell her it would all be okay. Profoundly moving.

7: Flat Out Love by Jessica Park

So unexpected. So unlike anything else I have ever read. This book strikes you to your emotional core again and again, and every time you think you have it figured out it surprises, and strikes you again. I exclaimed out loud at one point, and by the way, have Kleenex handy.

8: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

A wonderful book about the different types of families out there. An exploration into not just love, but honor and duty, and honesty as well. You cannot read this book and remain unmoved.

9: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

A very different type of book, written in a very different way. Emotionally exhausting, often depressing, no clean or easy answers, and yet so very moving. Another book that lead to long serious life discussions between my teen daughter and myself. Another book I think should be on High School reading lists.

10: The Outpost by Jake Tapper

This book pissed me off to no end, and should be required reading for all US citizens. The true story of an outpost in Afghanistan and the lives and deaths of the troops we sent there. If this book does not piss you off I question your humanity.


Honorable Mention
If I Stay + Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Moving, real, and unforgettable.

Bits and Pieces Series by Shirley Miranda

You learn quickly to love the protagonists and feel a part of their journey.

Story of a Girl By Sara Zarr

Another book that opened great dialogue between my daughter and myself about life,m consequences and reputation.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Series by Stieg Larson

Interesting, complex, and unlike anything I have read. Great adventure/thriller.

Hunger Games Trilogy Suzanne Collins

Wonderful dystopian series that paints a very real picture of the society there.

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

My favorite Dessen book, there are several others I might put here too. She is a great writer and lots of fun.

20 Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

A great book about life and death. Another one that lead to wonderful life discussions with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment