Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Review: The Casual Vacancy


The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Ignore the haters and the bad reviews, this was a great book. It was nothing at all like Harry Potter, but it will go down as one of the most important pieces of literature of the early 21st century.

It did start a little slowly, with lots of background information, and with learning a bit about the people of the community the book was about. When it started to really get going though you were thankful for the set-up. I felt a part of this community as much as the small town I grew up in. Aside from style it made me understand that small towns, and small town gossip and politics are little different in England than from here in the USA.

this story felt very, very real, completely authentic and comes off almost as a memory. Profoundly sad, but then life often is. If you haven;t yet, you should read this book.

I cannot wait for Ms rowling to write her next work. I loved the Potter books, and I loved this book and I still have a hard time understanding how such different worlds could have come from the same mind. both richly drawn and feeling real. I am really impressed.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment